The Juliet Lea Hillman Simonds Foundation was established in 1986 to support nonprofit organizations and initiatives in Pittsburgh and New York City. The Foundation’s main interests are in cultural advancement, the arts and higher education.
The Foundation has had a particular emphasis on supporting university-level arts programming and curriculum development. In the visual arts, the Foundation has had a longstanding relationship with the Carnegie Museum of Art, and in recent years it has been the principal underwriter of the Museum’s Forum Series exhibitions.
- Pittsburgh, PA
Grants Approved, 2017
Grants Paid, 2017
The Foundation’s grant programs primarily focus on projects within the following areas:
Cultural Advancement / Arts
- Applicant organizations must be classified as tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the U.S. Internal Revenue Code and as public charities under Section 509(a) of that code.
- The geographic focus of the Foundation’s grantmaking program is Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and New York City.
- The Board reserves the right to approve grants in other locations at its discretion.
- While the Foundation entertains requests from a wide variety of organizations, most grants are initiated at the direction of the program staff and Board of Trustees of the Foundation.
- Requests are accepted only through the online application process.
- Potential applicants are strongly encouraged to send an email of inquiry to Program Officer, Hilary Brown, prior to applying.
- The grant portal functions best in Chrome, Safari or Firefox internet browsers.
- Applications are reviewed weekly; however, please allow sufficient time for the review and consideration, and a timely response.
- There are no fixed deadlines for the submission of applications.
- The Board of Trustees meets at least annually to approve requests, but may meet as often as every quarter.
- Please direct all questions regarding the application process to Carol Long at 412-338-3466; specific project-related questions should be directed to program staff.